Our Mission And Vision
Our philosophy and our approach to education
At Cardinal Bernardin Montessori Academy, the education we provide is based on the following:
- We believe that families and home environments are the major influences in the life of a young child.
- We employ professionally trained teachers with Montessori certification who collaborate with each child and his/her family on an individual and familial basis to ensure each child’s success.
- We provide an environment and curriculum that is rooted in the Catholic faith and Montessori approach for educating young children.
- We strive to support children in their endeavors of evolving into creative, competent human beings who respect self, others and the world around them.
- We instill a love of learning while cultivating the virtues of faith, work, order and cheerfulness children need to thrive.
It is an exciting time for our school as we build upon 20 years of success in educating children with a unique model combining Montessori and Catholic education in one school.
Our story starts in September of 1998 when, with the support of the Episcopal Vicar Bishop Edwin Conway, the “Cardinal Bernardin Early Childhood Center” was established as a private school Pre-K to third grade. Operating under the auspices of the Office of Catholic Schools, the school opened with four classrooms and the founding principal was Sister Barbara Jean Ciszek, CSJ. Sister BeeJay served as Principal until her death in May of 2015.
The Cardinal Bernardin Montessori Academy is committed to offering our students the finest Montessori education in a Catholic environment. We seek to help our students to reach their full potential as children of God and partner with parents in their responsibility as the primary educators of their children’s intellectual and moral formation. The Academy welcomes all students from a wide range of social, economic, racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds. Parents enroll their children if they agree with our philosophy and desire to actively participate in its mission.
Cardinal Bernardin Montessori Academy is located on a beautiful, 2-acre urban campus in the Lincoln Park-Lakeview neighborhoods of Chicago. If you are looking for a Catholic, Montessori Academy with an outstanding, dedicated faculty and staff, a place where your child can be themselves in an atmosphere of freedom and responsibility, a proven program for your child’s moral, academic and social development, and a place where peace in education and joy in learning abounds, then Cardinal Bernardin Montessori Academy is for you.
We encourage you to visit, soon. We look forward to meeting you and your child!